Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Kids activity table - Handmade gift under $15.00

I could not be any more excited to share with you this post ! I have finished my 2 big Christmas projects for gifts and they were so much fun to make !

I made activity tables for my niece and son, with tons of supplies to make some more for gifts coming up for my other niece etc . since I used some items I already had ill put estimate costs, but this is seriously a cheap, nice gift .

The price breakdown is per table.

Ikea table 8.00
Chalkboard paint  80 cents
Stickers .25 .
Modge podge . I had . home made . came to under 5 cents.
'wood blocks'- I had . got 200 at a garage sale for $1.00, I used 25 blocks each table-
Sticky Foam .75 each total each table ....


Now, you do not have to follow what I used. I would have used legos instead of the faux wood blocks if I had enough - You can use anything you might have extra of.

Instructions go something like this.

step 1. Decide how you want to divide the table. I Did half chalkboard- So I sectioned it off after measuring Half the table. I painted half and I let it dry about an hour. Then I added a second coat. and after another hour, I took the painters tape off. I actually never realized I didnt use painters tape. So i had to use some black tape to "finish the ends"It looks just fine, and you can not really tell.

Next I added the stickers for the alphabet and the numbers. I modge podged over them. so they did not come off.

Next I Freehand drew the "road" - this was easier then I thought, and I cut it out- I added modge podge to the back of the adhesive of the foam paper and then stuck where I wanted. That baby is not going anywhere- On table two- its for a little girl so I didnt go with a track. I put shapes - On both of them I used puffy paint to 1.label the shapes and 2. put the names of the roads.

After that I had to decide what I wanted for the third part. I knew I wanted something like legos or blocks, but did not have enough and I didn't want to wait to finish it.
So I found some of the foam "wood" blocks and tacky glued. I placed glue on the table, the bottom of the "block" and the side- so each block is glued together. I did this two nights ago, and this morning I wanted to make sure they were sturdy-- they are. I literally lifted the table up by the glued blocks.

My husband and I are very excited about this table. For all the "writing" on the roads etc. I used puffy paint to give some dimension. This is a very easy project, and its totally personalized and customized. I can not wait to make more for my other niece in March!

Good Luck.  Here are some pictures from my project.

Painted tables
Letters and numbers added


Track attached and the blocks laid out ready to glue

All done!








No comments:

Post a Comment