Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Reading Nook with storage for kids..... For under $10.50

A couple weeks back I saw a local ice cream store throwing out about 100 plastic milk crates and stopped to ask if I could have some. They gladly handed them over and I loaded the back of my SUV with 6 black crates and absolutely no idea what I was going to do with them. I was so excited that the minute I got home I told hubby about them and suggested he help me make a reading nook for our son's room. We had been looking for a book shelf that could double as a reading nook, since the book shelf in his playroom is overloaded and we still have books stored in his closet (we like books!)

This weekend we set out to get this done, and I like it, but I am still looking for the perfect baskets to finish it up.

Here are some of the instructions and pictures if you are interested, as usual , I will show my total at the end:



















Material List/Cost :
Zip ties (at least 2 per handle and 1 per inside to attach) $0.00 Had them, but available for 1.00 at most stores.
Wood (We bought 48"x12" because we wanted a lip, but this will depend on how many crates you use) total $6.99
Batting/felt/cushion  $1.25  (1.00/yd this week, I used 1.25 yard and had a ton left over )
Patterned material (we used clearance semi-nautical fabric that was on around 1.50/yd) $2.25
Drill  - $0.00 , own it
Washers (make sure they are large because of the crate having large holes)  $0.00 , own it
Bolts (Also make sure they are large enough not to come through the hole) $0.00 , own it
Nuts ,$0.00 , own it
Staple gun and staples - but hey, if you want to try and glue it - let me know how it goes (A friend suggested this and I laughed but then I said, well , maybe......)  $0.00 , own it

TOTAL -  $10.49

Literally I had everything but the wood and material for this, and I am sure you do too. I plan on making some more of these for my front porch in single seats- I am going to get crazy with them and make them in holiday patterns to incorporate with my decorating too, because it is just what I do!






No comments:

Post a Comment