Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

Mickey Mouse uncrustables - Or any uncrustable really; Homemade and under 10 cents each!

As I have mentioned, we bring alot of our own food and drink to Disney and such to save money but also so that we know what our son is eating. This last time, we were at Disney for 5 full days (parks for three) so we needed to make sure we had enough peanut butter sandwiches (his favorite- he literally wants them for b-fast, lunch and dinner when we are on vacation -maybe because he doesn't get them at home much? ) so I set off to do a batch of uncrustables the night before we left. I had never done them before so I was really winging it- I did not have the tools to do it the ways I found online either. I did have a metal cookie cutter in the shape of Mickey's head- SCORE - this was going to look planned!!!!

1. Laid all the bread out
 2. Put P-NUT Butter on every piece (I did not put a ton!)
3. Add Jelly or Honey here if you are going to - I did this to 5 of them for myself but he likes having nothing else
4. Put pieces of bread together
5. press bread together tight - Cut with whatever tool you are using.
6. Once the bread is cut I went around the edges with my finger and I squeezed each end together tight
7. Lay in one layer on tray to flash freeze for 30or so minutes
8. I wrapped them in wax paper and put them in a giant freezer bag- I am unsure how necessary that is though.

I actually did TWO batches that night and one batch I left home and the other batch I DID NOT flash freeze until the next day when we got to hotel. We had a full fridge and freezer, so we kept everything in there while vacationing and took  out what we needed each day!


As usual, this is something I have done and therefore will break down the price:
.75 Peanut Butter (we buy organic, but I had a coupon so it still only cost me about 1.50 - I used around half the jar for two batches which was at least 24 sandwiches ) 
1.50 - For two loaves- I buy bread when it is on sale at my local market for .75 or under a loaf and I freeze it.

24 Uncrustables - $2.25 under 10 cents each(Compare to 3.19 for ONE BOX of (4? or 5?) in the store)




No comments:

Post a Comment