Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Disney Annual Passes VS. Disney Daily Passes - when is it worth it?





So last month I spoke in a post about our Disney Annual Passes; It went to Pinterest and some people took the time to email me to ask me (some in nice ways , some not) why I would consider myself a "frugal" person when I "waste" money on DW annual passes. Some people I responded to, but since it got to be a bit much, I decided to take to my blog to answer the questions.

Of course, each person has to make a personal decision on their sacrifices, and one of them, is that we want our annual passes and we found that if we stopped going to eat every night like we were used to because it was "easy" - we could justify the expense. In fact, we actually saved money each year this way, because we had a reason not to go out (even on nights where we spent under 20.00 on a cheap counter service meal, which was 3 times a week, we were THROWING money away!)

 I STILL consider myself a frugal person, but I will not stop living my life. For us, the tradeoff is that we do not go to Movie (at 10.00 a ticket, going to one movie a week for 2 people still costs $1040.00 a year without any extras!, so think about that) - We cook dinner at home and rarely go out for dinner, which averages $50.00 each time (eating out ONCE  a week on that average equals $2600.00 for the year!)



Here is how it breaks down:

In Florida, they offer 1 day tickets, 3 day tickets and 4 day tickets for residents. If you only plan to visit that once, that is fine, your savings may well and good, but lets break it down:


3 day Florida Resident Ticket: 
$216.73 , No Park Hopper included + 17.00 each day for parking (3) = 267.00 each person


4 day Florida Resident Ticket: 
$243.89 , No Park Hopper included + 17.00 each day for parking (4) = 311.89 each person


6 Days FL resident ticket (4 and 3 day specials) + Parking (17.00 each day (7) ) = $534.00 ea

VS.

Florida Annual Pass Holders:  (Includes parking) 517.00 - Unlimited entrance , free parking, discounts on Disney properties, including hotels, food at DtD and WDW.


As you can see, 6 days is really the turning point for the cost effectiveness. We have spent countless hours enjoying these passes and if you really want me to use my financial brain, I can break it down since April when we got the passes:

April - 3 days , 5 hours each day in the park = 15 hours
May - We came twice ! 4 days total, 6 hours average in the parks = 24 hours
June- Too Hot, just came once! 5 hours average in park = 10 hours
July - NO THANKS, way too hot for us!
August - Once for us this month- 3 hours a day average = 6 hours
September - busy busy month for us here!
October- We will be going 8 days total this month between meeting family twice, 5 hours av. = 40 hours
November- We are planning 2 days with friends = 10 hours
December- coming up once - 7 hours a day avg - 14 hours
Jan- Hubby and I planned a date night up for the dessert and fireworks- we will spend 2 days - 10 hours
Feb-April- We have no plans, but lets guess another 15 hours

Total hours : 144 for the year - Total money spent $1034.00 (Hubby and I, Our son doesn't have a ticket yet- he will next time, so this is based on previous!) = UNDER $7.20 an hour - THAT IS LESS THAN WE SPEND FOR A BABYSITTER!!!

It is all in where priorities lie guys! I am not saying it is right for everyone. but for us- this works! If food was not on the table and lights were not on, Disney would not come first- but sometimes, you just have to let loose and have some fun too!

No comments:

Post a Comment