Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Gifts for every Budgeteer ... 9 gifts that you can give for under 10.00 - for everyone!

The holidays are the best time of the year! The good food, the good drinks, and a chance to make creative stuff without cluttering my house - because I can actually give it away!!!

****Everything on this post was made by me. There are no photo credits, because they were all done on my phone, which is why I am apologizing for the quality. I love reading the "budget" gifts on pinterest and other blogs, but I do not like that the person blogging has not personally made every item, but instead made a perfect list of all the things you COULD do- linking to 20, 30 or 40 other blogs with tutorials - I also will happily answer questions regarding my items/tutorials!****

First things first - This list will be updated. So check back. I am going to have to update some of the tutorials and add some in general.  I love making gifts for my son, nieces, nephews and everyone in between, but what I really love is sharing the ideas with other people so they dont break their bank either!


Baby/Toddler -
















"Customized Bib, bowl and cup set" - Ikea sells a great Bib, Bowl and cup set of froggy stuff, it comes with a spoon and looks like you paid at least 10.00 for the entire set- However, it is really 2.99- The bib is one of those with the catcher on the bottom and its a wipe off material. I think they are the cutest things, but in order to give as a gift alone, I felt it needed some sprucing. -
I always have puffy paint and crystals, So I decided that I would go ahead and add some "bling" - I used puffy paint to write my nieces name, and then while the puffy paint was wet add a small pink crystal in there at different points in her name.
I always buy puffy paint for around .30 cents a bottle when on sale and the crystals I spend no more then 1.50 for 100-200 crystals depending on size. I think these are the bag of 200 b/c they are small. Overall I spent less then .20 for the other materials and 2.99 for all 4 of the pieces from ikea- so for under 3.50 - A cute gift for a friends toddler or a neighbor's kid, or even other kids at the school. Im going to wrap in colored paper and then cellophane and tie up with a bag- a local boutique that personalizes does this, and I always loved it!!!    ****** I have put My son's cups in the dishwasher every other day since June and the puffy paint is still going strong on there, but hand washing is advised!*********
UNDER 5.00



Toddler/Kids

Personalized Juice Boxes
With all my nieces and nephews in daycare or regular school, they need some cute personalized items not to get mixed up with their friends at school (or each other for those in the same classes!) I found these Gems- BPA free and in many colors at the dollar tree- TWO FOR 1.00!!! I always have outdoor vinyl on hand, which are perfect for these types of projects, so I grabbed my cricut and printed all the names and some emblems. Here are a couple that have been done. so far. My son has been using his about a month; i'm lazy, so it goes in the dishwasher, and it is just fine. Figuring I can get around 30 of the names and emblems on one page of outdoor vinyl (1.29 for the sheet) , this project will cost you under 1.00 to make!  (There is also a version of these I do with Dollar tree tumblers for teachers and other adults- especially gifts for new moms, mom to be and grandmas!)
Under 1.00

 

Personalized cape
This one was also fun! My dollar tree just got capes in ; The colors were red and blue and another in black. I bought one of each and used puffy paint I had lying around.(however, they are usually under 1.00 for puffy paint at my local craft store)
I made the star and the words and I am putting it away for christmas. My son has recently gotten in to super heros and I know he will get a kick out of his name being on this one!
If you had to buy everything new, this personalized cape is still
under 4.00.






Activity Table
I wanted something multifunctional
 and cute for my niece and son for the holidays, So I decided on an activity table. You can combine anything they like on here, and the cost is really going depend on the activities you pick. It can be done for under 15.00 - and if you head over to Ikea on black friday (I WILL BE!) These tables will usually be 5.00 instead of 8.00! I also do a version of these that has a bucket in the middle (use a 7 inch circular saw and drill, stick dollar tree bucket in the middle) and i fill with markers, crayons, coloring books etc
UNDER 15.00


Tween/Teen/Adults


 I think these are awesome. I was able to snag some cool, large gems from my local craft store on clearance for around .25 - the package had around 4 or 5 gems in each package. I grabbed these Iphone and Galaxy cases at the dollar tree, as well as some ipad cases (not pictured) 
I used a simple hot glue gun to affix the gems to the cases and decided to keep making more. Each year, my sons learning center has this amazing Christmas charity where parents who can not afford gifts can actually "shop" in their christmas store, made up of items that are donated. they have a wrapping station and the parents are not just taking "hand outs" and it is honestly such a heart warming program. They are always short on teenagers items, so I made a couple extras for the charity drive. I usually donate only store bought items but last year I handmade some jewelry and was asked if I could do some hand made again since the parents felt it really was sp


 Adults


Liquor Bouqet Every year we do a secret Santa for Christmas at our family gathering and in the past 4 years, the trend of putting in Alcohol has become more of a tradition. While I am not a big drinker, Ill occasionally wind up with a bottle of wine to put in our bar and open when one of my vino loving friends are over. I wanted something different or cute, so I decided on a liquor bouquet. Those cute mini bottles were on sale this week 2 for 1.25 ! They had all sorts of them on the sale. So I bought around 16 of them! I was able to make this cute bouquet for under 4.00 with stuff I had around the house! If you had to buy stuff other stuff. This would still cost under $10.00 - I put 6 bottles in this bouquet.   You can follow my tutorial
UNDER 5.00 (OR 10.00 DEPENDING ON TYPE OF LIQUOR OR PRICING IN YOUR AREA)



Apple Bag  
(this one is very teacher friendly) 
This was inspired by Pinterest, I admit. and While I tweeked it a little, I am very happy with it. I used an apple, which in hindsight, I wish I would have dried out a bit more before using it. I think the water made this too slick to work with and didnt imprint the coloring properly. Either way, it was very cute. I picked the bags up in a 3 pack on sale for 3.50 and used acrylic paint and an apple- I used Just one apple - cut in half (only two colors) Make sure you put cardboard inside the bag so it does not leak through and stick together.  
Although I had everything but the bag, I estimate this one to cost around 3.00 each if you had to buy everything.
$3.00

 These were a blast to make! They were gifts for my husband and that was simply because I have been reading about these for YEARS and wanting to try them. We are annual pass holders and our inside joke is always "I would rather be at Disney"- So I made him some mugs for his nightly tea and morning coffee bearing those fun words. I used Sharpie on these, not paint pens, and I baked them for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. the smell was nearly unbearable and I hated it, but it must have worked because everything worked well and the cups are still going strong about 4 months later. (in the dishwasher of course)
Cups are from the dollar tree and I had sharpies, but Sharpies run around 1.99 each. If you had to buy everything new, you would still be under 3.00 for each. (Obviously, the more you do, the less each averages out to be)
$ 3.00

This picture used a sharpie marker as well - but the pink is oil paint pen (sharpie brand) I also baked it at
350 degrees. It has the lyrics to our wedding song and I put it on a plate hanger. we do not eat off it. It is just a cute sentimental thing he loved.
Plates are from the dollar tree and I had sharpies, but Sharpies run around 1.99 each. If you had to buy everything new, you would still be under 3.00 for the project
$ 3.00


No comments:

Post a Comment