Pages

Friday, January 29, 2016

Pinterest fail- Embrace it!

So this is a bit fun because we should also be able to laugh at ourselves but it is also helpful because when we see something on Pinterest many times we think it should just WORK- and that is not always the case. Lucky for me my husband is pretty on top of things when he hears the words "I saw this on pinterest" and he starts brainstorming on how he will help me ammend the recipe/craft to work for me. I am a go with the flow person when it comes to my crafts and many of the things I do start out as something else but you kind of just have to embrace it.

This one is something I have been wanting to do FOREVER. In our house, we LOVE ornaments for the Christmas tree. Honestly, there is something about looking at those memories every single year that just makes it special. So many of us keep things in boxes, calling them memories and never pulling them back out to look at- DISPLAY them! Make them ornaments.

Last year my dad took a drill to all the magnets they had collected (we made them over the years, they got them on vacations etc) and he made them Christmas ornaments. I guess this is something that runs in the family because my parents are up to THREE trees just to hold all their ornaments!

The one I have here was basically a fail- Why? Oh because 1. I put the wrong date (thank you puffy paint, I took that 5 off and replaced it with a 1 promptly- right after my facebook friends pointed out that my son was 4.5 and not just 6 months old! 2. Because no matter how you try- those hospital hats WILL NOT FIT IN THE HOLE.

So I found the original somewhere on Pinterest - I did not even PIN it so I can not credit it back, so sorry - but this project is my own tips based on my own experience so fear not, this is all authentically original and not copied!

Basically the craft is that you take the hat from your child at the hospital and put it in the bulb. So cute and sentimental but since these hats all look the same, make sure you label which kid or the year!

Here are some tips-
1. Use a PLASTIC BULB- It looks no different and is safer for so many reasons.
2. Cut up the hat- this was my husband- I give credit where credit is due. I was trying so hard to stuff that whole hat in for 30 minutes. He watched me struggle as long as he could before he said "Here hun, let me help!" Before I could ask any questions, he took the hat, bulb and scissors and started cutting. I let out a wail and was ready to bop him right on the head but before I could make my way across the room to him he was already proudly stuffing the bulb with strips of the ONE item we have left from our son's birth! It was actually very successful and I am happy for his stroke of genius because I would not have done it.
3. If you have a cricut, use it! Eventually this puffy paint will peel and I will replace it with my vinyl but  it's packed and trying to wrestle with that closet is just too much. I am sure when I pull the ornaments for Christmas, I'll find the motivation to do it!

(Before the change of date, so this is a real fail!)



There ya go. It is not as epic a fail as some others and it is still workable. Tell us about yours? And if you have it documented, pictures are appreciated!







No comments:

Post a Comment