Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Holiday Crack...?!

This weekend was the Jewish New Year, and we had quite the turn out at my in laws! (Main positive of having an interfaith marriage, DOUBLE the holidays!) Hubby's aunt was visiting and she wanted to make some "candy" for the big dinner Sunday. She explained what it was, and my house smelled delicious, but she said because it had to harden, I would have to wait until Sunday Morning to taste test! It was worth the wait! For sure. I have looked up variations on this recipe, and most refer to it as "crack" - Easter crack, Christmas Crack, Chanukka crack- I dont care what you call it, but its delicious! I like to cook more then I like to eat what I make- So usually making sweets is safe for me - Last night was no different- I made this for my office- it never made it- My husband found it- and this morning the tupperware was half empty! 

It is super simple- I cut down from the original recipe to try and save some fat. but really, it is what it is with this recipe. - There are so many variations I was reading and next time I may try them. 


Saltine crackers (Or Matzah) 
Butter- about 3/4 stick
Nuts- Your choice,We use fancy deluxe, no peanuts mix
Chocolate chips ( I have also heard of butterscotch and peanut butter being used)
Brown Sugar - about 1 cup


Let me just say, The original recipe calls for a whole bag of chocolate chips, a ton more brown sugar and 2 sticks of butter- So thank me later for cutting that down and still keeping the flavor !

On a cookie sheet place aluminum foil ( please dont forget to do this, I did!) 
Lay out your matzah or crackers (I used just about 1 1/4 sleeves of saltines)
Pour caramel over (See below) - and spread with the silicone spreader (I only say silicone because it doesnt stick, but you can use anything)
Place it in the oven until the caramel is bubbly at 350 degrees. 
Spread chocolate chips over the warm caramel, it will start to melt - Spread the melting chocolate. 
Last step- Add the nuts- Now The way I was shown is to keep them whole. I have seen people use all of one nut, but I prefer the mix and Since i had about half a big can left, I loosly chopped and spread. I like to "seal" mine down by pressing into the chocolate and caramel. Then place in the fridge over night (Although You can technically just wait about 2-3 hours when in a rush) - In the morning you are ready to "break" your candy- I Do not like the method of cutting it It is MUCH more fun this way! - with your hands!  the picture below is before the breaking and fridge... ENJOY!


"CARAMEL" - There are so many recipes for homemade caramel out there. believe me, this one is fine.
In a small pan melt your butter and slowly add your brown sugar. Mix it with an icing spreader (I found it came off of one of those silicone ones much easier) - Your caramel will be ready in about 5-8 minutes, possibly less. I keep my heat down to about medium





No comments:

Post a Comment